Thursday, August 26, 2010

Quiet

I had a quiet day today. There was little activity in the house, and my soul was still. It was good. I needed it.

There is a lot of scary stuff waiting for me when I get home. Some of it followed me here- blast paying bills online! I have no idea what is going to happen in the next two months. But whatever it is, it is going to be big and life-changing. And scary.

As I sat tonight on the porch reading Les Miserables and listening to the chanting and drums of the Voodoo house behind me, I was overcome with this seemingly random direction my life has taken. When 2010 began, I had a job and health insurance and security. Not anymore. There are a few opportunities on the horizon, but nothing I can do about them at the moment.

But God is faithful. I have to trust and believe and hope in this. Tomorrow I will be spending the day at a VBS for street kids here in Port-au-Prince. I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to live their lives. I know that even when I feel lost, I am rooted in a family (both by name and by church) that will provide. I know that I will never be homeless, I will never be hungry, and I will never go without. These kids are all three. And they are living in a land where darkness is around every corner, ready to devour them.

As I am praying about my future, please join me in prayer for theirs. Pray that this time of VBS, which Pastor Joe does quarterly, will be a time where they can let down their guard and just be kids. Pray for their physical health, that they will have food to eat, cool water to drink, and that sickness and injury will not come. Pray that they will somehow get an education, the key to releasing themselves from poverty. Pray that they will take comfort in serving the Lord, not simply appeasing the Voodoo spirits. Pray that they will be loved and cherished. That's my goal for tomorrow. To completely empty myself of all of the love that has ever been given to me. Love that all of you have been a part of!

I don't mean to get all preachy. This is sounding almost like a prayer walk story. :) It's just that this quiet day has given me an opportunity to ponder and pray.

Look for pictures tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. praying for you and the children... hope VBS went well and you were able to love on lots of kiddos!

    ReplyDelete