Sunday, August 22, 2010

Feeling Better, Some Pictures, and THE HAT

Yay! I am feeling better! I took a day and just slept and slept and slept, and that did the trick. I slept in today as well, and when I finally emerged and came into the office, Mike (Disaster Relief guy from Colorado who is in charge of our temporary shelter operations) said that the Haitian kitchen staff was all in a tizzy and worried about me. They finally got together and had one of the translators come ask about me. Now isn't that precious. :) And I only slept in until 11:30! Little do they know...

Now for some pictures:

001

Need some shoes?

002

My dates for burgers! :)

004

Haitian Walmart
006

This is Epidor! A food court style restaurant in Port-au-Prince. They have burgers, nuggets, pizza, ice cream, and sandwiches. And it is all safe for caucasian stomachs! Even if I don't get to come here much, it is good to know that it exists. :)

007

008

A view of the SCARY Buckets of Hope container paperwork I had to do. There is a lot of stress inside those folders....

010

Paperwork in French!

012e

And this is my buddy Miguelson. He is our top translator here at CMBH, and he is incredible. If you were not a part of the epic Facebook conversation, let me fill you in on THE HAT.

One morning after breakfast I stepped outside to make sure that everyone was getting to where they needed to go before I took a shower. As I scanned the crowd, something caught my eye. One of the volunteers from California, a middle-aged white woman, was wearing an odd looking contraption atop her head. Upon further inspection, I discovered that what she had on was a solar-powered fan hat.

A SOLAR POWERED FAN HAT. Totally unironically, I may add.

Judith and I decided that this was no ordinary HAT. Harkening back to an Old Testament tradition, this HAT must only be referred to in capital letters. THE HAT is a reminder sent by God to me that He is Good, He is Gracious, and He loves me.

Unfortunately I was not usually around when she left for the day wearing THE HAT. But on the afternoon that she left, I made sure to snap a photo of Miguelson wearing THE HAT. He understands the power of THE HAT, and that mere men are not worthy to have direct contact with it. Thus, he had a Levite ballcap stand in the gap.

1 comment:

  1. okay, we were watching When Harry Met Sally last night and Billy Crystal totally picks up THE HAT in a Sharper Image store...okay, so it's not really THE HAT b/c the one in the movie is battery powered, circa 1989, but it made me think of you and smile. :)

    ReplyDelete